Vehicle wrapping: for the graphics industry, it’s the money maker on the block and one of the most coveted skill-sets to obtain. And it’s no wonder why, seeing that vehicle graphics are one of the most economical and effective forms of advertisement, costing businesses mere cents per impression. And seeing that the average vehicle wrap can get up to 500,000 impressions per month (depending on when and where the vehicle is driven of course), it’s a no brainer for small and large businesses alike.
Because of its ever growing popularity there is a lot of information out there about vehicle wrapping, so we decided to round up our ten favorite videos for the beginner installer. They’re a great start to understanding how to prep a vehicle, get a handle on door handles, and lay out a design mock-up for a potential client. And once you’re done with these (and you’re ready to get your squeegees on a real vehicle) you can sign up for our GSG U Auto Wrap Class!
1) GSG U with Jeff Wagner: Material Selection. This video is a short and sweet explanation about the common types of vinyl you will be working with, so that you know what to look for when ordering media for a job.
2) GSG U with Jeff Wagner: Perforated Window Film. Some basic tips to consider when applying window film to a vehicle.
3) GSG U with Jeff Wager: Surface Preparation. The one thing that can ruin a great wrap design before you even start installation is surface prep. Learn how to clean and prepare a vehicle for a smooth install and high quality wrap job.
4) How to Design a Vehicle Wrap in Adobe Illustrator. Although this video is lengthy, it’s a great step-by-step tutorial for the beginner designer. It also uses a standard vehicle template that you might find online to layout each view of the vehicle.
5) Wrap a Car How-to Video from Avery. Panel placement, window perf application, and so much more are in this video. A great start-to-finish overview of a typical wrap job.
6) Arlon’s Wrap it Right Series: Basic Squeegee Skills. Lets face it, everyone could use tips on how to properly handle the squeegee. Use this video to help you use your tools wisely and applying vinyl to a curved surface.
7) Arlon’s Wrap it Right Series: Removing and Remounting Badges. Although there are many ways to do this, Arlon shows us a great method for a clean and professional look.
8) Arlon’s Wrap it Right Series: Managing Heat & Tension. This video goes over the techniques you need to ensure your graphic isn’t going to warp from excess heat and stretching.
9) Arlon’s Wrap it Right Series: Fixing bubbles and wrinkles. Because anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
10) Arlon’s Wrap it Right Series: Edge Trimming and Wrapping Corners. Another great video from our friends at Arlon for tackling the little details that will set you apart from the other guys.
We hope you enjoyed this video round-up to get you excited and ready to start wrapping some vehicles. But truth be told, nothing beats a hands-on approach to learning. If you’re ready to get started on your wrap installation journey, sign up for one of our 2-day GSG U courses taught by 3M certified installer Jeff Wagner of J3industries.
Found any wrap installation videos that you like that aren’t on this list? Share them in the comments section below!